1. Make sure you have a valid passport and visas, if required.
2. Familiarize yourself with local laws and customs of the countries to which you are traveling.
3. Make 3 copies of your passport identification page. This will facilitate replacement if your passport is lost or stolen.
4. Leave a copy of your itinerary with family or friends at home so that you can be contacted in case of an emergency.
5. Do not leave your luggage unattended in public areas. Do not accept packages from strangers.
6. To avoid being a target of crime, try not to wear conspicuous clothing and expensive jewelry and do not carry excessive amounts of money or unnecessary credit cards.